Adzuki beans are legumes packed with protein, essential nutrients, vitamins, minerals, fibre and more.
Adzuki was cultivated in China and Korea before 1000BC and subsequently taken to Japan, where it is now the second most popular legume after the soybean. It is also cultivated in India.It has numerous health benefits:
· The ripe seeds are rich source of protein, highly nutritious and easy to digest. It is also a good source of vitamin A, thiamine, ribloflavin, niacin
· Young tender pods is eaten like snow peas or cooked like common green beans and are rich in folate, magnesium, zinc, iron, thiamine, vitamin B6, riboflavin, niacin, calcium
· They are antioxidants & have anti-inflammatory properties as well
· Adzuki beans can help you keep your weight in check as it is satiating and keeps you feeling full for a longer time.
· It has high protein content and can be an excellent diet for vegans & vegetarians.
Adzuki beans are used in making red bean paste which has a delicate flavour and grainy texture. It is also used in making various desserts, confectionary & cakes.