Did you know Millets can aid weight loss, be utilized as a food for diabetics and are great source of protein? It is also an excellent food for your digestive health as it is alkaline & easy to digest.
Other variety of millets at a glance..
- Foxtail millet is rich in fiber & minerals.
- It is used in the treatment of dyspepsia, poor digestions.
- The protein in foxtail millet is rich in amino acid.
FACT: Did you know Foxtail millet have a long shelve life and can be stored safely up to 5 years.
- Proso millet is an excellent energy source.
- Protein quality in foxtail millet is better than the other millets.
- The level of the essential amino acid lysine in proso millet is comparable to that in rice or wheat.
- It contains a relatively higher proportion of unavailable carbohydrate.
- The release of sugars from millet based diets is slow hence it could be best utilised in developing special foods for diabetics.
FACT: Lysine is an indispensable amino acid essential for protein synthesis.
- Barnyard millets are rich in protein and iron.
- They are very high in fibre.
- Protein digestibility in barnyard millet is very good.
- It is a very good source of energy which is low on calories.
About the author
Dr. J C Rana is a Scientist currently the heading the Division of Germplasm Evaluation, ICAR-National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources, Pusa Campus, New Delhi. He has received several awards & honours few of which are:
Fellow Indian Society of Genetics & Plant Breeding
Fellow Indian Society of Plant Genetic Resources